Saturday, June 05, 2004

And Today is a Very Good Day

As we say goodbye to someone who wanted to destroy the school lunch program by pulling funds from it, on the grounds that ketchup could be considered a vegetable.


Ronald Reagan was also the governor of my home state of Kah-lee-fohrnya, and one of the most memorable things he did (in my view, and representative of where his real heart for the people was) was a wonderful luncheon he had in the governor's mansion.


During Reagan's tenure, Cesar Chavez was leading the migrant farmworkers to rise up against unfair treatment, one of the avenues this took was the Grape Boycott. In a classic piece of upper-crusty right-wing snarkiness (right up there with Marie Antoinette's "Let them eat cake!" remark) Reagan served grapes for lunch and flippantly said something to the effect of "I don't see what the problem is; these are delicious."


This is what I will remember when I think of "The Great Communicator."


In Other News: My nephew is better, and out of the coma. Among his words upon awakening: "Ooh, my head hurts!"


Let that stand as a lesson to anyone who thinks that it's OK to drink/take drugs and operate heavy machinery.

No comments:

Post a Comment